Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers.
Depending on how many credit cards you have, the list of benefits you should be using this month might feel overwhelming. Can you remember all of these perks without help? Maybe not.
Rather than trying to keep track of all of them on your own, we’ve compiled a monthly checklist of credit card perks and benefits you might be eligible for. This should take the guesswork out of your benefits, when they expire and their value.
Here are some important reminders for the month of July.
There are numerous monthly credit card perks that you should be using since Amex offers many of its statement credits as monthly amounts — rather than a one-time annual benefit. It’s important to note that these values are “up to” amounts, meaning this is the maximum you will receive in statement credits. If you spend less than this amount, you will be reimbursed only for that lower amount.
Additionally, the Uber credits will disappear from your account if unused by the end of the month.
All of that is to say these are not benefits you can roll over for later. They are “use it or lose it” credits.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Up to $12.95 Walmart+ monthly membership: Pay with your card, then receive reimbursement in statement credits. Here’s how to enroll (subject to auto-renewal). Plus Up Benefits not eligible. If you don’t receive the credit automatically, it’s worth requesting any missing credits be applied. The easiest way to do this is via chat (online or through the Amex app).
- Up to $15 in Uber credits: This can be used for Uber rides or on Uber Eats orders in the U.S. Add your card to your Uber account as a payment method to receive this benefit. Here’s how to use this benefit.
- Up to $20 digital entertainment credit: This can be used for Audible, the Disney Bundle, Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Peacock, The New York Times, SiriusXM and The Wall Street Journal. Enrollment is required in advance. Here’s how to use this benefit.
While not a monthly benefit, cardholders also receive two spending credits with Saks Fifth Avenue on the Amex Platinum each year. From Jan. 1 through June 31 each year, you’ll receive up to $50 in statement credits, and you’ll also have a separate $50 credit from July 1 to Dec. 31 in the second half of the year. You have from now to the end of December to use the second installment of this credit. Enrollment is required in advance.
Also, remember that your Equinox benefits became easier to use this year. Rather than monthly amounts, you can use up to $300 in Equinox statement credits annually. These credits apply to paying for Equinox+ or any Equinox club membership. Here’s how to use this benefit. Enrollment is required.
Using these benefits and statement credits can help to offset the card’s $695 annual fee (see rates and fees).
Official application link: The Platinum Card from American Express
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Up to $10 wireless credits: Pay for an eligible mobile service and receive a statement credit of up to $10. Enrollment is required in advance.
The Business Platinum Card doesn’t award credits at Saks or with Uber, but cardholders do receive up to $400 in statement credits every year for Dell purchases. This is split into $200 in credits from January-June and another $200 from July-December. You can use your credits for the second half of the year now. Enrollment is required in advance.
Official application link: The Business Platinum Card from American Express
American Express® Gold Card
- Up to $10 Uber credits: Like the perk on the Platinum Card, this applies to Uber rides and Uber Eats orders in the U.S. Add your card to your Uber account as a payment method to receive this benefit — and note that it can stack with the monthly credit on the Amex Platinum if you have both cards. Here’s how to use this benefit.
- Up to $10 dining credits: Use your card to pay at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, participating Shake Shack locations, Wine.com, Goldbelly and Milk Bar to receive up to $10 in statement credits monthly. Enrollment is required in advance. Here’s how to use this benefit.
Official application link: American Express Gold Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card
- Up to $25 in monthly dining credits: This card offers monthly dining credits at restaurants worldwide. You don’t need to enroll for this benefit in advance — simply swipe your card at an eligible restaurant.
Official application link: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card
Select Chase credit cards offer perks from month to month, so a new month means you have a fresh batch of credits to use.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
- $5 DoorDash credits: When you add your Sapphire Reserve card as a payment method in your DoorDash account, Chase will add $5 in credits at the beginning of each month (this runs through December 2024). You can roll over a maximum of three months of credits, so you could now have up to $15 to use if you didn’t use any credits over the past two months. Note that these credits are in addition to the free DashPass membership the card provides.
Official application link: Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
The Sapphire Preferred doesn’t offer any monthly credits, but cardholders can use a $50 hotel credit each year when booking through the Chase travel portal. If you haven’t used yours yet this year, here’s how to use this benefit.
Official application link: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Freedom (not open to new applicants) and Chase Freedom Flex
- 5% cash back: Each quarter, you can earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined spending on rotating categories. Current categories include gas stations, EV charging and select live entertainment. You must activate your categories to enjoy the higher earning rates. The current quarter ends on September 30 (and you must activate by September 14), so you have until then to register and then maximize these earnings.
Remember: Even though the Freedom cards are technically cash-back products, you can turn these earnings into fully-transferable Ultimate Rewards points if you also have a premium Chase card like the Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve.
The information for the Chase Freedom card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Official application link: Chase Freedom Flex
Numerous Chase cards
- $10 Gopuff credits: Get a statement credit of up to $10 each month when paying for a Gopuff order with one of the many available cards. This perk runs through Dec. 31. Note that there are order minimums.
- Instacart credits: Depending on which card(s) you have from Chase, you can receive statement credits after purchasing from Instacart — in addition to possibly getting a free Instacart+ membership. Eligible credits are as follows:
- Up to $15 per month in statement credits: Chase Sapphire Reserve and J.P. Morgan Reserve Card.*
- Up to $15 per quarter in statement credits: Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire.*
- Up to $10 per quarter in statement credits: Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Freedom Flex, Chase Freedom* and Chase Freedom Student.*
*The information for these cards has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Citi® Dividend Card (not open to new applicants)
- 5% cash back: You can earn 5% cash back each quarter on rotating categories. Unlike other cards that limit your bonus earnings within the quarter, Citi Dividend cardholders can earn 5% bonus cash back on up to $6,000 of spending across the year (then 1% back thereafter), meaning you could maximize your 5% earnings for the whole year during a quarter where the bonus categories are more advantageous for you. Remember to activate your current categories, which include gas and home improvement stores and are active through Sept. 30.
The information for the Citi Dividend has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Discover it® Cash Back
- 5% cash back: Each quarter, you can earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined spending on rotating categories, then unlimited 1% cash back. Remember to activate your current categories, which include purchases at gas stations and purchases made with digital wallets, through Sept. 30.
The information for the Discover it has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
U.S. Bank Cash+® Visa Signature® Card
- 5% cash back: Each quarter, you can earn 5% cash back on up to $2,000 in combined spending on rotating categories, then an unlimited 1% back on other purchases. You must choose your categories each quarter and activate them for the bonus to apply. The current quarter ends on Sept. 30, and categories include:
- Cellphone providers
- Department stores
- Electronics stores
- Fast food
- Furniture stores
- Ground transportation
- Gyms/fitness centers
- Home utilities
- Movie theaters
- Select clothing stores
- Sporting goods stores
- TV, internet and streaming services
World Elite Mastercards
World Elite Mastercards
Numerous banks issue World Elite Mastercards. Common products under this umbrella include the Citi Premier® Card (see rates and fees), IHG One Rewards Premier Credit Card and Chase Freedom Flex. Here’s what cardholders can use each month on these cards:
- $5 in monthly Lyft credit after three rides: Use your card as the payment method in your account and get a $5 Lyft credit after taking three rides in a month. This benefit runs through March 31, 2024.
- $5 off your first order with DoorDash each month: Cardholders who activate DashPass (including free trials and promotions for free membership) will get $5 off their first order from DoorDash each month and 5% back on pickup orders. This offer runs through Sept. 30.
- $5 credit after spending $20 with Fandango or Vudu: For each $20 spent with these merchants, you’ll receive a $5 credit that can be used for movie tickets or online movie rentals or purchases. This offer runs through Sep. 30.
Using the perks and benefits on your credit cards is critical for maximizing their value and justifying the cards’ annual fees. Some credit cards make this easy, offering your benefits as a one-time perk to use each year. Other benefits must be used in monthly increments, and it can be easy to forget about them.
This monthly checklist of credit card perks will help you remember to use them now that it’s the start of a new month.
Additional reporting by Ryan Wilcox and Benji Stawski.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.